What the changes are, when they will happen, and how they affect SIA licence applicants and licence holders.
The SIA (Security Industry Authority) have made some changes to the First Aid training you need to take before you can get a front line SIA licence.
The changes are:
- SIA have introduced new, updated qualifications for all sectors except close protection and vehicle immobilisation
- You must have a first aid qualification before you can take the training required for a door supervisor or security guard licence
- You must have one of the new qualifications or take top-up training before you can apply for a door supervisor and security guard licence – this includes renewals
The SIA (Security Industry Authority) will be making these changes in April 2022.
New requirement for first aid training
The SIA already expected applicants for a close protection licence to complete a first aid qualification before taking their licence-linked training. We now expect applicants for a door supervisor or security guard licence to do the same.
You will need to do this if either of the following apply:
- you are applying for a licence for the first time
- it has been longer than 3 years since you last held a licence for that activity
You will also need to do this if you are renewing your licence.
The qualification must be an Emergency First Aid at Work qualification or equivalent.
The requirement for first aid training will improve your skills as an SIA licence holder. It will not change the obligations you have when responding to an emergency.
What do the SIA (Security Industry Authority) mean by “equivalent”?
The SIA will accept other qualifications that comply with the relevant guidance from the Health and Safety Executive. Some examples are:
- First Aid at Work (FAW)
- First Person on Scene (FPOS)
- First Response Emergency Care (FREC)
We do offer ‘Open Courses’ for the 1 Day Emergency First Aid at Work training which meets the requirements of the SIA (Security Industry Authority).
Please see our scheduled training dates for the 1 Day Emergency First Aid at Work Training or call us on 0151 515 0416 to book your place.
SIA (Security Industry Authority) Website https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/security-industry-authority
SIA (Security Industry Authority) Changes to the training you need for an SIA licence